Over the past few years, we have been so blessed to be surrounded by great friends and a great community. Whether it was the arrival of a new baby, being stuck in the hospital or dealing with uncertainty at home, friends and family helping to bring food over is always so appreciated!
When I get a chance to cook for someone in a similar situation one of my go-to meals is a family-friendly paella.
I like that it’s a little different being rice based but also filled with lots of veggies and flavor. We sometimes find time to make a full blown, traditional paella and reminisce on our travels to Spain but for a quick meal this one will do!
If you’re looking for a new recipe at home or something to bring a friend, consider this one!
- 2 cups of instant brown rice
- 2.5 cups of chicken stock
- ½ cup water
- Package of smoked turkey sausage (you can also use chorizo, but I’ve found bringing this to friends it’s better to go with a simpler, less spicy option)
- Large red pepper
- 2 tomatoes
- ½ tomato and ½ lemon (optional)
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 onion
- 1 “hot” pepper – jalapeno or other less spicy option
- ½ bag of frozen peas
- Saffron (pinch)
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ teaspoon chili pepper
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Dice up your red pepper, tomatoes, onion, hot pepper and garlic. I put mine in the food processor to make them as fine as possible so no chunks are found by the kids.
- Place a large stovetop pan or paella pan over medium heat. Add EVOO to grease the pan.
- Add your rice and diced ingredients from step one into the skillet. Yes, dry rice and mix with the other wet ingredients.
- Meanwhile bring 2 cups of chicken stock and a pinch of saffron (grind with your fingers) to a boil. Once the stock is boiling, add to the stovetop pan with your rice and veggies. Stir and let rice begin to cook over medium heat.
- Cut smoked sausage (or chorizo) and cook in separate skillet.
- Begin adding the spices to your main rice pan and mix together.
- Once sausage is cooked, add to your paella pan.
- Mix well and add the additional ½ cup of chicken stock.
- Place cover over pan to let cook, stirring occasionally for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, check your rice. Determine if you need to add the ½ cup of water.
- Once the rice is nearly done, add the peas and stir in.
- At the end I always do a quick taste test for flavor and spice depending on the meal recipient. We like it spicy at home and typically add more paprika and chili powder.
- Your optional lemon and ½ tomato are optional to garnish your dish. Slice tomato and quarter your lemon.
Enjoy! This has become plenty for our family but you can also serve with a great crusty bread.